Marriage proposals have changed quite a bit since the day when a man simply dropped down to one knee and offered up a ring to his lady love. Nowadays it seems grooms go to great lengths to ask for their love's hand in marriage.
THE PRIVATE PROPOSAL
When my son asked his wife for her hand, while she was out of town, he fixed their favorite dinner, arranged flowers and petals everywhere. The house was illuminated in the soft romantic glow of a hundred small, large and heart-shaped candles placed strategically around the rooms.The mood was set. When his unsuspecting girlfriend walked inside, she was astonished and fully surprised. It was fun and romantic and of course, he went down on one knee with a ring to propose.
My daughter's husband, had taken her to a charming Bed and Breakfast along the shores of Santa Barbara Beach. While she was luxuriating in a Spa Treatment, he arranged twinkle lights in the gorgeous foliage in the garden outside and set the scene for her surprise. He'd also created a crossword puzzle and a loving tribute to her on his computer screen and while they were sitting on a benchseat, amid the sparkling lights, he proposed to her.
Another way to surprise her is to have the staff at your hotel arrange words "Marry me" on your bed and hide the ring under the pillow.
Or pre-write the words "Marry Me" in the sand along your favorite private beach path.
Or sneak into her computer and change her screensaver to say "I love you. Marry me?" along with a loving picture of the two of you.
WANT HER TO SAY YES?
Don't ask too soon in the relationship.
Speak of marriage in vague terms often to gauge her feelings on the subject.
Be sure she is the ONE.
According to The Knot , a site exclusive to weddings and marriage, here are a few fun suggestions for a successful public proposal:
1.Take out a full-page ad in a newspaper you know your girlfriend reads daily.
2. Arrange a surprise proposal with a street caricaturist. Have him sketch a picture of you two with word bubbles. Yours will read, "Will you Marry Me?", and hers will say, "Yes!"
3. Pay the divers at an aquarium to put on a proposal show inside their biggest fish tank. Give them handwritten signs that say "Will You Marry Me?" to hold up against the glass.
4. Send your girlfriend on a treasure hunt. Start with a clue at home, then send her on a tour of your favorite spots all over town. When she gets to the last hint, the prize should be you on one knee.
5. Go out for a night of dancing, and ask the DJ or band leader to pass you the mic so that you can dedicate a song and propose on the dance floor.
6. Have a friend or family member set up a picnic -- complete with wine and cheese, or course -- for you in a park. Take your girlfriend for a hike on a route where you'll stumble upon this surprise "Proposal Picnic."
7. Hire a skywriter to spell your proposal for everyone around to see.
8. Flying anytime soon? Use the plane's loud-speaker system (of course, run your plan by the flight attendants first) and propose at 35,000 feet.
9.Movie buffs? Ask your neighborhood theater to run an ad featuring your proposal and make sure you get there in time for the previews.
10. Gather a bunch of your friends and family for a party. Have everyone in attendance put on a T-shirt bearing one of the letters in the phrase "Will You Marry Me?" When you walk in the room with your girlfriend, suggest a group picture and let the shirts speak for themselves.
In my NEW RELEASE -- A COWBOY WORTH CLAIMING, Chance Worth starts a traditon of marriage proposals that spans for generations. Every Worth Man MUST propose to their loves, at Elizabeth Lake on the land where Chance first saved Lizzie's Mitchell's life. Throughout the stories set in Red Ridge and Worth Ranch, you'll see the inventive ways my heroes get the heroines to the lake to offer their love and have the women say "YES".
Be sure to enter my BRAND NEW-SLETTER CONTEST by signing up for my newsletter on the WIN STUFF page. For 3 extra entries each post a comment here OR Tweet OR Facebook the Contest and be sure to let me know you did. You could win a romantic heart-shaped Brighton locket AND a $50 Amazon Gift Card! Secondary prizes awarded too!! **Note if you already subscribe to my newsletter you are automatically entered, but take advantage of the Bonus Entries!