Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, August 14, 2006

Animal Crackers

I pass them up each time I'm buying groceries, casting them a look of longing as they sat at the checkout aisle, next to People and National Enquirer and gum. I remember them so well. They were my comfort, my fun, I would count the animals, sometimes. I would lay them all out in front of me, make stacks, see how many of each kind I got in one box.

Then I'd eat one. Deciding on which one I wanted wasn't easy, but since I'm a cat lover, I remember eating the lions, and then the zebras, because they had ridges. I loved the box they came in and the little string holder. Yes, they still make them exactly the same way. They were a reminder of school lunches, of lunchpails, and sitting on the benches to eat, of recess and having something special that day to look forward to.

So this time, I picked up a box and set it on the checkout. My husband looked at me. "Are you buying those?"
"Yes, I want to remember. I just want to look at them again."

And when I got them home, I opened the box, spread out my animals and counted. Then I ate one.
Just like when I was a kid.

I love having that box in my cupboard. I love the shape and colors. I love the string handle. They don't make things like they used to. They've been around a long time. Do you remember?

1 comment:

Shelli Stevens said...

My daughter LOVES animal crackers.

Hey I finished "Bunking down with the Boss" and really loved it! It was sweet, romantic, and emotional. Thanks for sharing it with me, Charlene. I'm so glad you brought your talent to Cobblestone.