Social Networks

Back to website

Friday, November 21, 2008

Changes in the Air for Fans of Soaps and Dancing with the Stars




Okay, I admit it, I love soap operas. I remember some twenty plus years ago having a roommate in my hospital room after I gave birth to my son who was an avid Days of Our Lives fan. Not only was I learning from the nurses how to diaper and bath my new baby, but my roommate taught me all I needed to know about the backstory of Days of Our Lives ! We'd watch it together in our hospital room and I became a fan as well.


I was a new mother with a baby and housebound. Very shortly those soap opera characters became my new friends as I changed diapers, washed clothes and paid the bills while I had the show on during the noon hour.


I've been a big Days fan, and though there are criticisms that the acting is bad, the storylines are phony and unbelievable, I don't always agree. What's great about soaps is that there's always something new happening. No repeats to name. We get a new show every day, five days a week. I think of the actors that are GOOD, and the ones who have moved on to become major television and movie stars.


But it seems there isn't a viewing audience for soaps like there used to be. The soaps were geared to housewives. But nowadays, it's rare that a woman is home during those hours. So even the soap stars are subject to budget cuts. Marlena and John, (above) who have been on the show more than 25 years and I imagine are the top wage earners, have been laid off.


For some, this spells doom for the soap as many view those two as the mainstay of the show. I'll still watch Days, but it won't be the same.

How about you? Are you a fan of soaps?
Do you love Dancing with Stars? My favorite, Julianne has decided not to come back in the spring. She's multi-talented and has sought a career in country music. She's good too, if you caught her performance last week on DWTS. I'm a huge country music fan, so I'm torn, because I love watching her dance. But she's persuing her dreams and you can never fault that!

No comments: