Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, January 09, 2006

Setting Goals and keeping to them!

Yes, I'm afraid I'm a goal setter. I don't know if I've always been as organized both mentally and methodically in setting my goals, but I've always had a long range future plan. But since it's January and it's a time for resolutions, I thought this topic might of value to discuss.

Lately, it seems I don't get anything accomplished, unless I set my mind's clock. Today I'll clean the kitchen, write a scene, send off that proposal, write a letter to my friend, etc. If I don't mentally make a tally of what I need to do, it seems it doesn't get done. Sometimes, I write a list and sometimes, the list is in my head. So my daily goals, obviously are smaller ones. But I keep bigger long range goals in my head too. And I try really hard to accomplish them. But I find that I'm one who works really well under a deadline. So with writing and with life in general, there's always a date in mind, or I'll turn into a pumpkin.

I have to admit for those of you with small children, or outside obligations, it's harder to keep your goals. Your children come first. I recall many a day when I just couldn't get to everything I needed to do. It was frustrating to say the least, but raising a family is a full time job and often, my writing and my goals suffered. It's the way it should be. I'm not complaining. My family has always come first, but now I have the luxury of time. My kids are grown and have moved out of the house. My husband is gone until the late afternoon.

Now if I don't meet my goals, I can only look to myself. There's a good deal of discipline involved. And one of the first things people ask me is, how to do it all? How can you write so many books and run your house and still have time for friends. It's not easy, but it's the only way for me. Put me under a deadline anytime. It's how I work best.

Still time to add your comment for the TITLE CONTEST! I'll announce the winner at the end of this week! Post them here or on the December 22 Blog. Good luck!

No comments: