Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, February 28, 2005

Monday's Musings

Okay, so I should probably be thinking about my next scene and writing about writing, but I've been thinking instead about the Academy Awards last night. I don't know why I actually watched it since I haven't seen any of the movies nominated, except Sideways, but I guess because I live 15 miles outside of Hollywood, have been to the Kodak Theatre, walked the same walk that the big stars walked, and everything else in town practically shuts down, I wanted to be included in some way. The "event" makes history each year and maybe I wanted to include myself in that. While watching, I found the women looked fabulous this year. No really bad "fashion" mistakes on the big stars. Hillary Swank looked wonderful and though I didn't orignially want to see that movie because I've been told it's not what it appears, now I really would love to see what made it an overwhelming success. I imagine, it did what the other movies might not have done -- touched the viewers on an emotional level that went beyond any expectation. Isn't that what good writing is about anyway? And good acting? The audience, whether a reader or a movie viewer wants to become involved. They want to be touched and stimulated by what they read or see. And if it surprises them in an uncanny way, the more the better. So, setting aside my reservations about the actual subject matter, I plan to see Million Dollar Baby and brace myself for the onslaught of a highly emotional movie ride.

No comments: