Social Networks

Back to website

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Wednesday's Words

The power of networking is truly amazing! I recently joined the new
Romance Writer's of America listserves, where we go online with authors from around the world. They had a bundle of lists to choose from but I decided there's only just so much time in each day, so I picked four that pertained mainly to what my needs are regarding business decisions, the craft of writing and research. Well, I asked a simple question on the research listserve about Colorado locales and terrain that I was, quite honestly having difficulty finding with my other resources. Many people chimed in to help but the most helpful and exciting revelation came when I was directed to WEB CAMS. This is a truly amazing thing. I joined Webshots.com and found EVERYTHING I needed, live and in color, being shot from cameras trained on locations such as Pike's Peak and the Garden of the Gods -- setting the scene for my Desire continuity. Along with these "live" shots of places I needed to see, the sites also have still photos with captions and descriptions. All in all, I feel like I know the terrain now, the ranches and mesas and gorgeous landscapes that is -- Colorado.

This has been a shot in the arm for me. I've always been hindered, because while I pride myself on narrative and dialogue, description is not my greatest asset as a writer. I limited myself to write stories set in locations I've visited before. These Web Cams and online sites have opened my eyes to great possibilities! Again, I must say that the power of networking is essential for a writer and these new RWA online sources have already helped me so much.
Well... I'm off to view today's webshot of Pike's Peak. Want to see it in early morning light!

No comments: