Social Networks

Back to website

Friday, March 04, 2005

Friday's Finds

Today will be a good writing day. I have to write a scene where my hero/heroine ride horses. Coming from a historical background and writing westerns, I've learned a great deal about mares, geldings and stallions, about mustangs and pintos and thoroughbreds. So my historical background is going to help me write my modern day horseback riding scene. I have a mini library of books about horses and used to ride back in my youth. When we first arrived in California, coming from New York, I truly believed that I'd be living out in the wilds, on a ranch somewhere, with horses at my disposal. But truth be told, I never got my own horse, but I did have the chance to take western saddle riding lessons. Then, I thought it was the best, but as I look back on it now, I believe those poor horses that were rented out were terribly mistreated and abused. I had the impression that horses were mean and hard to deal with and was taught to be wary of them, but now I know differently. Horses can be the most beloved animals, with sweet dispositions and kind natures. It's all in the care and love you give them. I still wish I owned my own horse. Maybe someday.

No comments: