Social Networks

Back to website

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Are you watching the Olympics?

Just wondering how many of you out there are watching the Olympics? Usually, I get enthralled and can't remote myself away from the channel. But I'm finding the Olympics flat this year. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe, life has just been so darn busy and I can't keep my focus. I'll tune into a sport and think "I really love watching this" but five minutes into it, I'm bored. I can't get into the ice skating, which is usually my favorite. And it has less to do with Michelle Kwan's withdrawal and more to do with the lack of charisma I'm seeing. There have been disappointments too, for the Americans and I'm not seeing the rising star shine. Maybe that's it -- I can't relate to the athletes this year.

Except for our "Flying Tomato" . Now, see that's what I'm talking about. He's a character. He's fun to watch and listen too. He's talented and quite an inspiration. I've never watched a snowboarding event in my life, but I watched him take the gold and learned something about snowboarding as well.

I don't "get" luge, the double luge looks a bit ridiculous and I find myself thinking, what's the point? But I'm not tuning out just yet. I hope Olympic fever hits me. I want to enjoy watching and cheering our teams on throughout the competition. It's early yet and maybe the best will be saved for last. I hope so.

But it's not all a loss for me. I'm Italian-American and love seeing the locales and learning about that region in Italy. And I thought the opening ceremony was fanastic. You can't argue with great ingenutity and imagination. I'm hanging in there, hoping to get inspired and if not that, then I'll settle for being entertained. Go USA!

2 comments:

Cheryl St.John said...

There's a poll on AOL today, asking which viewers prefer this year: American Idol or the Olympics. American Idol is the winner by a landslide. Seems plenty of people think the Olymics lack luster this year.

I was thinking about what you mentioned, and wondering why it's different. Is it the star quality of the athletes? Few of them seem to shine as we were once used to. Scott Hamilton, Oksana B. Elvis. Pikaboo. Now those were stars.

Also, what did they show before all this snowboarding stuff, which is relatively new and geared toward a younger audience? Didn't we get to see more of the skating competition? That's what I've always watched winter Olympics for--the skating. Singles, pairs and dance. I guess some of it's on USA during the day, but I don't have a chance to see that.

Charlene Sands said...

Cheryl,
I agree. I'm just not getting into the Olympics. They are missing star quality, I think.