Social Networks

Back to website

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What makes a hero heroic?

I've asked myself that question many times, but I know the answer now. In my story Fortune's Vengeful Groom -- my hero is a macho alpha man who has revenge on his mind with a woman he once loved and believes treated him unjustly. But how do we make our alpha mega larger-than-life hero, ruthless, yet let our reader know he's really a good guy?

The answer is in the little things. I have to admit, I'm having a whole bunch of fun with this. My hero is not thinking nice He's not saying nice things to my heroine either, but he shows her that he's not a total jerk by setting his jacket about her shoulders when she shivers. He may step away from her with narrowed eyes and a wary expression, but he removes his hat in her presence. Manners, you say? Yes, that too, but it still evokes an emotion in both the heroine and the reader.

I'm only in Chaper Two of my next Desire continuity coming out March 07, but it'll be a fun ride keeping the tension and conflict going, while I find ways to show my hero's good side in subtle small ways. Maybe I'll have him show affection for a stray pup? No, too cliche? Okay, I'll think of something else. But in the thinking, comes the fun part of writing. Dreaming up ways to make my hero cold on the outside, but warm on the inside is a challenge and a joy that I'm happy to meet head on.

And speaking of heroes, if you want to see how I met my real-life hero, my husband Don, click here: http://occsliceoforange.blogspot.com/

It's a short but sweet and true story of how I met my one and only. And I'm honored to have been picked to kick off the first day of my RWA Chapter's 25 DAYS OF
ROMANCE. I hope you enjoy!

Also, check out my article CRAZY IN LOVE in the February issue of RomanceNewsToday at www.romancenewstoday.com


**** RENEGADE WIFE IS SOLD OUT ON EHarlequin.com Please see Amazon or your other favorite sites to purchase the book! ****

No comments: