Social Networks

Back to website

Friday, February 10, 2006

Donating Books- Hard to Say Goodbye

Yesterday I was reminded to make my donation to the Rescue Mission. I gathered up some things in the house and then I recalled that they take books as well. I went into my closet, where my husband gouged out part of the wall to make me a four layered bookshelf and started perusing my books. Next I went outside to the garage and opened up a storage cabinet, filled head to toe with books. All I could do was shake my head.

The hardest thing for me to do is part with my books. Over the years I've collected and read books from my favorite authors, my dear friends, a writer's first book, some are signed, others are just close to my heart. Some I intend to read, others I've read more than twice. I have my keepers. LyVryle, Sandra Brown, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, will never leave my shelves. They have special meaning to me. They are the authors who inspired me initially to write romance. They hooked me and I'll never forget their stories. Also on the keeper shelf are my critique partners books. But then there are so many others. Kathryn Woodwiss, Joanne Lindsay and Nora along with other great but lesser known authors.

It took me quite a while to box up the books I'm sending to the mission. I chose at least 50 from my collection and the choosing wasn't easy. But the solace I get in giving these books away is that others who are in more need than myself, will someday derive as much enjoyment from them as I have over the years. I know they'll be appreciated. I haven't peeked outside my door yet to see if they're gone. Maybe, I'll take a look to say one final farewell.

1 comment:

Cheryl St.John said...

I will always keep the books that inspired me, as well, and LaVryle's have a keeper shelf.

Since we moved nearly two years ago and I purged my shelves, it's been easier for me to give away books. I reduced bookcases in my office from eight to four, and in my living room from seven to four. That was a LOT of books to part with, but you know what was ridiculous? I had never gotten around to reading some of them!

I gave away stacks of new and autographed books by holding contests from my website and blog! It was a good feeling to lighten up.