Social Networks

Back to website

Friday, April 14, 2006

Deal or No Deal?

I don't know how many of you watch Deal or No Deal on NBC, but I'm told by the casting director whom I met yesterday that it's the top-rated show on NBC right now. I've always liked Howie Mandel. He makes me laugh and I think he's perfect for the show. And this show isn't regimented like Wheel or Jeopardy or Price Is Right.

Nope, this show brings the Howie out. At least, I think he's the one coming up with crazy ideas. For instance, instead of using the models to open the cases with money amounts, one time he brought a family of eight up onto the stage to do the models' work. Another time, he brought 26 contestants from the Miss USA pagent in to open the cases. And sometimes, when a contestant come up initially with thoughts of using the money they win, say for a Hummer, -- they entice him with not only the banker's offer but a brand new Hummer -- to take the deal.

So why am I blogging about this show today? Two reasons and both have to do with writing and romance. To me, what makes this show unique is the fact that there are surprises! Most game shows don't do that. There are the same old, same old, day in and day out. Which is fine for most people and in non-prime time. But audiences are more sophisticated now. They want more. And this show provides more. The same, one might say, relates to writing. We need to surprise our audience, to make our stories unique, to remove the cliche and go for something more daring. More interesting. I know I'm constantly trying to up the ante, to stun the reader, without copping out on my characters, because we always have to stay true to who they are. It's not easy, but when we accomplish it, it can truly make a good story, great.

And the second reason I'm writing about Deal or No Deal is the fact that they constantly bring in romance in some shape or form onto the show. The other night, a very lovely young man spoke about his girlfriend in such glowing terms, (she was sitting in the family box onstage) and right before he was to make his big deal, he called her over, got down on one knee and proposed to her. Was it staged? Of course, but the sentiment was real and true, the audience ate it up and then as a couple, they made the decision together about the deal.

Now that's romance!

No comments: