Social Networks

Back to website

Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name

Affirmation is a very positive thing. Most writers need it on a daily basis whether in small ways or by grand gestures and anything in between. We writers are a lonely bunch, usually, sitting in our computer world, making up characters and conflicts and events. We don't get too many pats on the back. So we embrace any kernal of acknowledgement that comes our way.

This is where my Romance Writer's of America Chapter of Orange County, entitled OCC for short, makes strong strides. Our chapter acknowledges our writing and our endeavors. They give awards for selling your first book, and pins to the unpubbed for finishing a manuscript and submitting it. They acknowledge their volunteers. And for the published authors in the group, they give out beautiful silk red roses every time we make a sale. I have a lovely bouquet of them sitting in a leather boot on my desk, the theme going hand in hand with my very western, rustic office.

Those roses mean a lot to me. In them, I see hope. I see a dream that came true. I see a ton of hard work and I see my bouquet blossoming for the future. But each and every time I stand up there at the podium during my chapter meeting to accept my rose, I feel humbled, enlightened, grateful for the craft itself. The affirmation those roses represent, that yes, I've finally accomplished my goals and I'm being recognized for a job well done, is a glorious feeling.

I accept my beautiful red roses with honor and pride, knowing that they are far better than any slap on the back! So for that, I must thank my wonderful OCC chapter because a rose for any other reason, would surely not be as sweet!

1 comment:

Charlene Sands said...

Kim,
Enjoy!
Charlene