Social Networks

Back to website

Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday's Finds

Hurricane Rita -- It seems the worst EVER hurricane season. As I'm watching the news and seeing people evacuate their homes and livelihoods, I'm amazed at the power of such natural forces. Being an historical writer as well, I often wonder about the people living back in the day when there were no warnings, no doppler readings, no television. How did they survive? IF they survived such powerful forces of nature. Were whole towns and cities wiped out? With more primitive housing and no walls for protection in the sea, did any of those living on the gulf coast regions survive? Or has our weather changed so much lately (it seems so) that people living in the "olden" days didn't have too much worry about drastic hurricanes hitting the shore? I'm sure if I studied the facts, I find my answers.

But as I tried today to enter the RITA (pardon the pun) but that's the name of the Romance Writer's of America's most prestigious award contest- I realized that they are based in Houston. The site is shutting down for the time being as people there are evacuating. Who knows what might happen to our RWA -based offices? And just this morning I received an email from my web designer whose is on crutches right now and having to either have her parents move in with her or live in their house, until the hurricane passes. She's going offline until all of this is resolved. (My prayers to you, Shelley! I'm keeping good thoughts for you and your family. )

So, though thousands of miles away, the hurricanes hit us all in some way. They affect us and make us worry, and pray and hope for a good outcome. And I certainly do! As I know many of you are feeling the same way. Keep good thoughts coming. Let's not go through the alpha-bet of hurricane names this year. PLEASE !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember an elderly relative telling me that in the olden days, the weather took people by surprise. Maybe that's why 6000+ people died in the 1900 hurricane which destroyed Galveston.

Charlene Sands said...

Josie,
I've often wondered about people in the olden days living on the coasts and how they dealt with hurricanes. They didn't have much warning and I would imagine that even with one of the milder hurricanes, they would lose everything. Yet, I live in earthquake country, so I have no reason to talk. :)
Charlene