Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, September 12, 2005

Monday's Musings

As I'm sitting here, finished for the morning's worth of writing, with my kitten Skittles, always trusty and atop my computer, I'm thinking of all the animals yet to be rescued by the hurricanes. It saddens me to think of those animals left behind and how hard it was on those evacuees who had to say farewell to their pets. True, nothing is more important than saving human lives, but I know how difficult it would have been to leave my pets behind. They are like small children, helpless and vulnerable and that's the hardest part. I think of them starving, frightened and perhaps injured and not knowing what to do.

Where dogs might come out and let their presence be known to the rescuers, cats tend to hide when frightened. I know my kitty does and no amount of cajoling or bribery will get her to show her face. So, I'm hoping that the cats do have nine lives and that they find ways to survive. They may have used up eight lives in the hurricane, but I still hold out hope that they are as resilient as I know them normally to be.

Thank goodness to all the rescuers out there and to the Humane Society and other such organizations looking out for the animals.

So I hug my little Skittles a bit tighter and let her drink my coffee. Yes, she likes coffee, don't ask me why. She doesn't eat or drink anything else, but the special cat food we feed her and water, but for some odd reason she likes my coffee. It's a struggle when I'm at the computer to keep my mug away from her and after I set it down once I'm through, she finds a way to get to it. It's uncanny really and it baffles me, but it's part of what makes up her cute personality.

So, I'm hoping that many other pets are found and rescued out there. It's hard to think of them going without food. Prayers to all, humans and pets alike whose lives were greatly affected by the hurricane.

Let's hope the storm Ophelia dies a quick death out at sea. We don't need another disaster.

No comments: