Social Networks

Back to website

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Good Friends - the best kind

Yesterday, I was sitting at a restaurant at lunchtime, waiting for my lunch dates. It's something we try to do every month or so to keep in touch. And as I waited in this adorable cafe, sitting by the window facing out, I had my head down in my yearly calendar plotting my next week of appointments and fun things, like holiday parties. Deeply concentrating on my pocket-sized calendar, finally I heard a knocking on the outside window right in front of me. And when I looked up, there they stood, laughing, making faces in the window, knocking wildly to get my attention -- and I realized at that moment, we were all sixteen years old again. Those beautiful faces of my friends whom I've shared my life with had never changed. Our bodies might have aged some, but our minds and hearts are still those of our youth.

That's what it's like to have grown up with friends from grammar school. I feel fortunate for having kept in touch with many of those dear friends. We've been through marriages and divorces and deaths and babies and we've stayed close and loved each other throughout. It's not exactly the Desperate Housewives or Sex and the City kind of friendship, it's more subtle than that. We don't see each other every day and sometimes weeks go by without communicating, but our friendship never wavers. And no matter how long it's been since we've talked or seen each other -- when we do see each other, we pick up right where we left off.

Being sixteen again never felt so good!

No comments: