Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday's Musings

I'd almost forgotten how nice it is to sit down and read a book! I know it's hard to believe, but if there was one, and only one thing not great about being a writer, it's that when you're constantly on a deadline, you don't get the chance to read. AND the love of reading is how we all got into this business in the first place. Reading was the road that led many of us down the path to becoming writers.

It's pure joy to sit down with a good book written by many of my friends and acquaintances now, put my feet up and get totally immersed in a story. Lately, I've been doing that. Finished with my deadlines now, with more than half of my Christmas shopping done, and sending off a new Desire proposal this month, I now how the luxury of reading. And I'm enjoying it so much. It's the best way I know how to relax. The other day, it finally got cold enough in Southern CA, so we lit a fire in the fireplace. I sat by the fire and read a book from cover to cover. I know that this won't last. As I'm writing this a new "bible" for the continuity I'll be working on next is winging its way to me, but hopefully the mail will be slow and I'll have a few more days to enjoy my favorite pastime. I do love writing, but sometime I need to be reminded of why I'm doing it. After reading a great story, it becomes vivid and clear. And the inspiration is something that can't be bottled or described. It just IS.

No comments: