Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, August 15, 2005

Monday's Musings

There are highs and lows to being a writer. Believe me, all of us, even the best of us have had our share of both. But not too many things recently compared to the "high" I experienced on Saturday afternoon when I met Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Now, it might seem a bit anti-climatic, since I attended her workshop and listened to her Keynote speech in Reno at our convention, but on Saturday at our monthly Orange County Chapter meeting, I actually met her.

It was a day that was crammed with personal goings on in my life, but I didn't mind the 90 minute drive to Orange County and waiting while she was stuck in traffic. All of us, a group of over 100 eager members, waited patiently, getting minute by minute updates as to when Susan would be in the building. And when she appeared, nearly an hour late, the room broke out in applause. Wasn't her fault. The delay at LAX always inevitable but even it if was her fault, she would have still received the warmest of welcomes.

She moved quickly and gave us her an abbreviated workshop on Million Dollar Writing Tips. I'd heard most of it before in Reno, but she was in a smaller group and we were able to ask questions. I raised my hand and asked a few. And then, when she was through, she signed her newest hardback book. I met her then, told her she was my inspiration, from her first book on and that I was thrilled to meet her. I told her that I've since written 15 books and she asked for my writing name. She signed a book for me and for my friend and we spoke briefly. She's as "real" as real gets, funnier than anyone I've ever listened to, and such a sweetie.

The thrill is still with me and only readers and writers alike would know the feeling of meeting and speaking with somone whom you truly admire. It's a movie buff meeting their favotite actor or actress. It's a sports fan, meeting the SuperBowl hero. It's a music fan meeting their favorite rock star. Or pop singer. Or country artist. I once met Tim Mcgraw. He shook my hand and said hello. For those of you who know me, you know he's number one with me. And meeting SEP was that "high" all over again, but in a different, awe-inspiring, I-want-to-be-just-like-you, kind of way.

I spent the entire next day and I mean, I didn't get dressed until late afternoon, reading her newest, Match Me If You Can. I couldn't put it down. She writes with such clarity, the characters appear so real, the story flows so smoothly. She's a seat-of-your-pants kind of writer. I LOVE that about her. And she admits to having to take a long time with her books, not knowing exactly where the story is going until she gets there! I LOVE that about her too.

Today is Monday and I'll plant myself back in my computer chair. I'll get a great deal of writing done today. Her words and stories will stay with me.

I am inspired ...

No comments: