Social Networks

Back to website

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Thursday's Thoughts

Lots of thoughts today. Mostly, I'm pleased with the way my story is developing. Yesterday I was awakened at 4:30AM when the phone rang and since I couldn't return to sleep, I began writing. I kept going until 1PM with little breaks for coffee and breakfast. When I get near the end of the book, I can't wait to finish. Every scene is etched in my head and I want to get it all down. It's a great feeling, because I'm on a roll, know where I'm going and can't wait to get there. So, yesterday was my most productive day ever. I think I wrote 20 pages. And to give you a guideline, my normal workday involves writing 5 pages a day with some editing thrown in there. All in all, it makes for one very happy writer when the story moves smoothly and every scene seems to work. The struggle for me is more in the middle chapters, keeping the pace and keeping the story interesting. In writing circles it's called the "sagging" middle. So just wondering how many writers out there, experience a sagging middle, or steamroll ahead? Anybody get the same feelings of urgency to finish the story when it gets near the end?

And today is the day I get to babysit my new grandbaby. No, don't get excited, it's not a real grandchild, but my son's kitten. He's going out of town for the weekend, and BABY is staying with us. I'm looking forward to it, but my other 2 cats already expressed their displeasure. I'll have to separate the three of them. Wouldn't want BABY to feel unwelcome. Still, though it'll be a trial having all three in the house, I'm looking forward to it. If we didn't have coyotes in the area, I'd have 10 cats and they'd live outside in our backyard. Then I'd be one of THOSE women. I can't help it. I love kittens. Anybody else out there a cat lover?

2 comments:

Bronwyn Jameson said...

20 pages??? That's awesome, Charlene. Like you, I love when I'm right into a book and every scene ahead is clear in my mind and I can't wait to get it all down. At the moment I'm just starting and the vision is somewhat murky. My least favorite part, the start. I actually like the middle because in Desire what's where the fun stuff happens! :)

Charlene Sands said...

Bronwyn,

Great to hear from you! And yes, the start of the book is always trying -- trying to get it right, trying to develop your characters, trying to display the conflict accurately. I agree with the murkiness of those first few chapters, but then when we get it right, doesn't the story just flow? Once the characters are in place, the conflict set, we can really speed along. Okay, maybe not speed, but the work seems to go more smoothly.
Any kitties in your neck of the woods? Mine are keeping me on my toes this morning!