Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, March 06, 2006

The Academy Awards

Okay, so I went to Trader Joe's yesterday afternoon to pick up a few grocery items and the place was packed. I've never seen this store so crowded before, the lines were actually into the grocery aisles. So as I'm standing in line, I spoke with another woman and asked. "Is this because of the Academy Awards later tonight?" She nodded and said she thought so. People were shopping early so as not to miss the show, or buying food to entertain during the show.
I live 30 minutes from Hollywood and many of the people I know work in the entertainment industry. We are inundated with these folk, so Oscar night is really a big deal here, maybe more than anywhere else. But it never ceases to amaze me, the trickle down affect. How, just because the Oscars are on TV at 5 PM, that I have to stand in long lines for 20 minutes just to buy cereal and milk!

And you know, I didn't even watch much of the show. This year, oddly, I didn't see more than one movie up for an award, so I tuned in and out, but I did catch Reese Witherspoon's acceptance speech. She's the real deal, I think. I was happy for her. And now, can life in and around Hollywood, just get back to normal? Or, maybe, that is normal for Hollywood. I just don't want to stand in any more long grocery lines!

No comments: