Social Networks

Back to website

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Getting Organized

Some people marvel at how I manage to write so much, work a part-time job (Childbirth and Baby Care Instructor) and keep up my household. All I can say to that, is that I know no other way. Truly. While I'd love to take full credit for having written three books last year along with all the other things I do, I can't imagine NOT doing it.

It's no great hardship for me to sit down at the computer and write my stories. Most days, I can't wait. Sure, there are times when I run into a roadblock, have to reassess the plot, or develop the characters better, which takes thinking, not writing, but all in all, it's a joy for me. So, when I get going, I keep going. There isn't a day that goes by when I'm not doing something, even if I have a few extra minutes before dinner, or an appointment, I will sit down to edit something. Last night, as I was showing a video to my childbirth class, I took my AA's (Author Alterations-last stage of copyedits) and read through 20 pages of my manuscript. It felt good to accomplish that, rather than sit through a video I've seen more than a dozen times.

If it seems that I'm always working, I'm not. I have my down time, where I'll sit in front of the TV and watch Days of Our Lives, or read a book, or simply go shopping. I think it's easy for me to make the most of my days. I don't procrastinate. If something needs doing, I do it. There's nothing to marvel at here, no great mystery as to how I get all the things done I need to, but then, my kids are grown, I have the house to myself and I don't have the same responsibilities I had when I was raising my family.

Still it amazes me, when people ask, "How do you do it all?"
I shrug and shake my head. I really don't know any other way.

No comments: