Social Networks

Back to website

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Wednesday's Words

It's hard to write my heroine when I don't have a clear picture of her in my head. I didn't really know her when I started on this proposal, so I had a mish-mosh of details with nothing really clicking. I've learned my lesson, not to start on a story until both of my main characters are straight and decided in my head. Because now, going back over the three chapters and changing her, I'm finding isn't easy at all. I'm still a bit murky and will spend more time reworking her character, trying to develop a strong conflict and have all the other necessary elements to make this book sellable. It seems to never get easier -- and a very smart author once said that every sale is a labor. That's so very true. This isn't an easy business and it's so subjective to what an editor finds compelling and marketable, that there's very little room for error.

So, I'm reworking and building my heroine from the ground up, so to speak, and hoping that she's real and believeable. Luckily, I have a great handle on the hero. He's well defined and his conflict comes through loud and clear. It's a great challenge, but the process is slow for me and I'm ready to finish this so I can move onto something else.

No comments: