Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, July 18, 2005

Monday's Musings

The Joys of Exercising --- Have any of you gotten into the swing of an exercise routine and just when you're really getting into a groove and enjoying it (yes, I said ENJOYING it) your body breaks down? Well, if it's age or wear and tear, I'm not sure, but we recently bought a treadmill, and this has been happening to me. I have to admit, while I don't like any other form of exercise, I don't mind walking on the thing. I turn the TV on and do half an hour or more, using the weights and incline and when I'm through, I feel pretty darn good.

That is, until a while ago, when my hip starting aching so badly, I thought I was in serious trouble. I couldn't figure it out. Luckily for me, when I complained to an aerobics instructor I know, she figured it out immediately. Seems I was walking on the threadmill incorrectly. Yes, there's a right way and wrong way of walking -- and I was doing it all wrong. Walk heel to toe, keep a straight upper body and tuck in the tummy. Don't use the incline more than 30%. I had the thing up to almost max -- as if I were climbing Mount Rushmore. Well, sure enough, I began fixing the way I walked and the hip pain vanished. A happy camper I was, I was.

Until a few weeks ago, when my knee starting aching. I could visibly see the swelling underneath. The Dr. put me on Motrin, a knee brace and no more treadmill for a while. Ouch! That hurts. I was really in that groove again. So, while my intentions have been good, my body isn't cooperating. This time, I can't figure out why my knee gave out, but I'm not giving up. I'll be treadmilling again as soon as the Dr. says it's a go. Anybody else out there have an exercise story to share?

No comments: