Social Networks

Back to website

Monday, July 25, 2005

Monday's Musings

I have decided that buying tickets to any event in California is an absolute undoable thing. Each time I try, I'm sorely disappointed in the seats I get. I've tried different strategies, but the bottom line is, if you want to see your favorite sports team, singer, show or whatever, money talks. There are scalpers out there with "legitimate" companies, selling tickets for three and four times their worth. Somehow, and I have yet to figure this out, those companies seem to get their hands on the best seats, the best tickets, selling them for the highest price.

Those of you who know me best, know I'm a huge country western fan. I love the new country groups, and the songs that tell a story. But my favorite is Tim McGraw. And I discovered him, and country music quite by accident one day while listening to a Faith Hill song. I had no idea that man she was singing a duet with, was her husband and soon to be my favorite artist.

Back to the ticket thing. Well, I joined Tim's fan club to see where and when he'd be in town and to get hold of his pre-sale tickets for his CA tours. Mind you, I've never joined a fan club for anyone, not even Elvis when I was a teen! But this pre-sale opportunity sounded pretty good. The only problem was, when I planted myself in my chair, waiting for the exact moment the tickets would go on sale online thru the pre-sale, something happened on THEIR end, and I couldn't bring up the page for 30 minutes. Well, by that time, all the good seats were gone. GONE. Not only that, the next to good seats were gone too. There was nothing worthy coming up on that online site. So, off to my next plan. Ticketmaster was selling Tim Tix in a few days. Luckily, I was home that morning. I planted myself by the computer and waited until the exact moment the tickets were released. And to my amazement, within a few seconds I pulled up some really good seats -- this has never happened before. I've never gotten decent seats from Ticketmaster. Well, I didn't hesitate, but plugged in all the information needed and had tickets in hand within five minutes. Now, mind you, I'm not going to be able to look Tim McGraw right in the eyes, but these seats are pretty good! I'm almost center stage with only one section in front of me, and I didn't have to pay scalper prices! That's the best of all.

Still and all, it's a jungle out there when trying to vie for good seats. I'm wondering if it's like this throughout the entire country? Have any of you had to fight and claw to get good seats for a concert, show or sports event? And have any of you been pleasantly surprised when you actually did get those seats?

I won't even discuss those lucky few who have WON Tim Tix on the radio. Nope, not going to discuss them at all.

No comments: