Social Networks

Back to website

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Thursday'sThoughts

I've been thinking today about Walt Disney and his absolute genius. Since it's the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, his story has been all over the news and special reports. I never really knew the entire story and how Walt wanted to create a safe, fun place for his children and children all over the world to play. Thus, the theme park was invented. But I learned that so many of his endeavors were inspired by fairy tales and the very own characters Walt had created. The Sleeping Beauty castle still stands today and is one of the landmarks of the park. The Dumbo ride, Alice in Wonderland and Pirates of the Caribbean, all based on characters from books . The Mark Twain steam ship was extensively researched and recreated exactly how the original ones were made. His "Lands" still amaze me. Not that he built them, but the vision and forethought he had in creating them. Tomorrowland has changed some, but Frontierland (my favorite - imagine that, a western historical writer's fav) and Fantasyland and many others haven't changed much, although many have been added too. I still love the corny Jungle Cruise, and climbing the Treehouse, like I did as a child. When I think about Disneyland, I always smile remembering how much going there impacted my childhood, the school trips, the Fourth of July adventures and as an adult, the best vacation my family has ever taken, in Florida to Disney World. Great memories created by a great man. Even his name has a bit of whimsy. Can you imagine Disneyland, with a different name attached? Webberland ... Schneiderland ... DiMatteoLand. Nope, don't seem right, does it?

No comments: